Thursday, August 18, 2011

Being able to receive...

In church on Sundays we are taught about giving.
I know we punt this alot in Primary with the little ones...helping others, making them happy and thinking about them.
I think we should be putting as much emphasis on the receiving part.
Cause I reckon as many are giving, there are plenty on the receiving line.
And mostly, they don't know how to receive the act of kindness.

A note on the side....
Two words that I hear alot - cause I also say it alot are 'Fine' and 'Okay'.
These two words have taken on a whole new meaning.
When you ask someone you know, "How are you?", immediately your internal warning system should start beeping - if their reply includes either of those words. Fine & Okay no longer mean that.  They mean, 'I'm struggling but my head is above water' - or 'I'm getting by...barely'.  And more often than not these words are said with a smile.
So, here's a tip. Put your arm around them, not both just one - it could look bad, and then you say...'Really?'.
And when they open up - you listen. Really listen.  Don't do all the talking. I'm realising that most women usually have a break down at church and then feel much better afterwards. Just slightly embarrassed. 

Here's the bit on receiving - this is what I've been learning lately...when people offer a kindness, and you really need it...no matter how hard it is to say...say YES.  If it helps, close your eyes when you're saying it cause it will give you some inner strength.  And then say Thank You...with a smile.  Don't get all gushy and too grateful and keep saying Thank you ALL the time.  A sweet personal note will do.
And don't feel guilty for saying YES.  We feel guilt at the drop of a hat - but it's not normal and should be deflected with GRATITUDE.  Concentrate of happy grateful feelings towards that person and reciprocate when you have the capacity to do do.

xxx


No comments: