Friday, January 21, 2011

The importance of doing nothing

I am naturally VERY lazy.  I have in my teen years, spent entire days lying on my bed reading books.  ENTIRE days.  I think of that now and am amazed that my parents put up with that - and must remember to allow my kids that leisure when they're into that.  I do not do this anymore.  I simply don't have the time to spare.  However - I still think that doing nothing for a little while can allow some very creative thoughts to start blasting their way around in my head.  So sometimes, I do like to just sit. Because it's wonderful how much I can create - by not doing anything. 

Take Wednesday afternoon for example.  I sat for 10 minutes reading a magazine - a deor magazine.  I sat looking at the pictures, enjoying the colours - the artwork...and something started banging away upstairs in the right hand side of my brain.  The creative moment only hit me yesterday at 4pm - a day later.  But it hit with a happy force that sent me creating for an hour. It was a wonderful moment and made me inexplicably happy - that's what being creative does for me and that's why I do it.

Sometimes, it's important to do nothing.  It's amazing how much you're actually doing.

1 comment:

Amber said...

yes, but what did you start creating? I want to see pictures!