Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Birds in my garden

The weather is 'fair to vrot' outside, as my mom would say.  Overcast & cold - but the birds love it!  They are having a ball in my garden.  My best moments for bird watching are washing the dishes (still got to get a dishwasher) & hanging up the washing. 

I discovered a gorgeous pair of nesting finches outside my bedroom window the other day, so special to watch.  And the female yellow billed kite is still sitting on her nest - I can't see inside yet - my elevation is all wrong...I'm waiting for a little fluffy heads to peep over the edge of the nest.  Brod still feeds the male kite when we have some extra steak or chicken - we've named him Viktor (you've got to roll the 'r'). 

Truly the funniest bird to watch while building it's nest is a hadeda.  Talk about awkward.  That long beak is hillarious. I honestly believe that the hadeda is the 'cow' of the bird species, a common site & not very alluring - but it serves its purpose.  The chick was awfully cute. 

We've also been collecting the fallen 'unapproved' weavers nests - I love the smell of  the grass & leaves they use when it's still green.  They've since been thrown out of course. 

I am a very content lady in my little sanctuary.  Working hard with BvonB, house cleaning, kids, sewing and my YW calling at church - and am feeling fulfilled (with the odd 'freak-out' session).  Life is mostly good.

No comments: