Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Today

Today I woke up early.
Just as the sun was up - that's early.  I lay there for a bit and then felt someone looking at me. It was Jo. He was squeezed between Brod and I.  How the heck? And when??? He was happy though. And that's a good thing. Jo does not always grace us with a happy face.  He looked at the ceiling.
And said.
'Today is going to be the best day, EVER!'
His cousins were coming to join us for a lesson on Coral Reefs.
So the sun continued to shine and all the world was wonderful - the promise of a new day with cousins.
We read our scriptures - the kiddies and I...Brod was exempt since we took it as our Scripture study lesson since it only started a few moments before 8am. Tardy today.  
And Noah, happy little Noah, said to me - 'Mom, I want to read by myself today, you can help me if I am stuck. But I will try by myself'. So I, the amazed mother(still in her nightie by the way - but it's my favourite one that I'd wear all day if I could), sat and watched. And listened. And was amazed. He spelled the words out first, phonetically - but he read. Words. On his own without me. At least 4 of them without my help. I have taught my son to read. Me, Melissa Von Brughan.  Who goes through life feeling below average at everything, taught my happy little chappie that A N D spells AND. (thankfully the BOM is filled with copious amounts of verses starting with this very word, and. So Noah and I are going to have plenty reasons to celebrate.) and lots of other words too. Happiness is a happy mom in the morning, surrounded by her children, with no make up or bra and the scriptures.  Not sure it's even allowed in social circles to mention bra and scriptures in the same line. Done it again. Oh well.
And then we tidied in a flurry and readied the table for our lesson on coral reefs.  I tried to do an awesome experiment with the kids - and another adult present. Which flopped. Blind - but we'll give it another bash at a later time, when they've all forgotten.  The kiddies were all happy learning, listening, watching and playing - and I was happy for them.

Some more sweet things from the kiddies...
Phoebe is gearing up for a Girl Guides Garage Sale - at which she plans to almost sell all our household goods and any Smosh Art that's lying around and make millions to buy me a Birthday gift, the day after my Birthday.
She does keep checking that I'd be ok with that. The day after and all.  
Can I take a moment to rant about how AWESOME this little girl is at organising and carrying out a Family Home Evening lesson. My mind boggles.  She invited my mom - precious - why had I not thought of that???She drew a whole whack of fish, made her own fishing rod with a pipe she found and some wool and a magnet and wrote scriptures on the back of each fish. We sat reading all the scriptures together. Brod and I looked across at each other, with raised eye brows and felt like the teenagers with the little adult taking charge and hell bent on saving all our souls.   
Phoebe has a crush on a boy. Too precious. They are in a Reading program together - he's older(which is always a plus) and is very sweet.  She was late today, and didn't have a chance to go home and change and do her hair...I felt her worry. We ran into the rest room on the way, faffed and fiddled and she was thrilled. Since she's still 10, I am not worried. I can only imagine the angst at 16 when it happens for real. 

Sophie watches it all.  
She still loves her cuddles and hugs, makes room for her stuffed toys on her bed and sometimes even sleeps under a blanket squashed up on the corner of her bed to give them pride of place on the pillow. She draws her happy pictures of things that inspire her, she writes happy notes in her journal and dreams of freedom from the constrains of her sheltered and controlled life. The other day at Tala Games reserve, on our game drive, she joyfully hung out the window yelling - "I feel so FREE!!!". What does this say about my parenting? 
I think this all begs my attention.  And lots of thought.  
She is, truthfully my most studious child in the house and completes any given task when asked and happily most of the time. This means the world to me.  Juggling 4 grades at one time is no easy task...hundreds of extra gray hairs later confirm this fact as truth.  She is willing and able and happy to help - mostly all of the time. She watches, and loves and hugs and protects and worries for everyone. She calls out to her granny every night from the bathroom to sleep well, and tells her how much she loves her.  She falls asleep in a moment and awakes with a smile. Happiness is Sophie.

Brod has entered his first ever Mountain Biking race - it takes place this Saturday.  How thrilling.  We are all so excited for him and nervous and worried too.  It's a 40km race from Inanda Dam to Durban North. He's riding with our Bishop - so he'll have someone to hang out with for the duration. I am happy that we still have a lot to talk about and laugh about together after all these years...

xxx


1 comment:

Claire said...

such a cool post, melis. love it. you're aWeSoMe!!!